2002 Lee Hall
Department of English
P.O. Box E
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Shakespeare, Early Modern Literature, Satire
- EN 2213: British Literature Before 1800
- EN 4503: Early Shakespeare
- EN 4513: Late Shakespeare
- EN 8523: English Renaissance Drama
- HON 1163: Quest 1
- HON 1173: Quest 2
- HON 3183: Satire and Its Discontents
- HON 3183: The Reformation in England
Eric Vivier specializes in early modern English literature, with a particular focus on satire. He teaches classes on Shakespeare, early British literature, and the Honors “Quest” classes (freshman/sophomore seminars in the liberal arts). He is also the Faculty Director for The Streetcar, MSU’s Undergraduate Creative Arts Journal. He is writing a book about early modern English satire.
- Vivier, Eric D. 2020. “How Satire Works: Lessons from the English Renaissance for the Great Age of American Satire.” Genre 53 (3) [forthcoming].
- Vivier, Eric D. 2020 “Thomas Nashe’s Unprofitable Satire.” Modern Philology 117 (4): 423-444.
- Vivier, Eric D. 2019. “Gabriel Harvey Against Satire.” English Literary Renaissance 49 (2): 172-200.
- Vivier, Eric D. 2017. “Judging Jonson: Ben Jonson’s Satirical Self-Defense in Poetaster.” The Ben Jonson Journal 24 (1): 1-21.
- Vivier, Eric D. 2017. “Pleading for and Against the Devil: Satirical Ethics and Efficacy in The Revenger’s Tragedy.” In The Revenger’s Tragedy: The State of Play, edited by Gretchen Minton, 39-60. Oxford: Bloomsbury Arden Shakespeare.
- Vivier, Eric D. 2016. “Review Essay: Heather Hirschfeld, The End of Satisfaction: Drama and Repentance in the Age of Shakespeare.” The Journal for Early Modern Cultural Studies 16 (3): 145-49.
- Vivier, Eric D. 2014. “John Bridges, Martin Marprelate, and the Rhetoric of Satire.” English Literary Renaissance 44 (1): 3-35.
Honors and Awards
- College of Arts & Sciences Teaching Award in the Humanities (2019)
- Wisconsin Distinguished Graduate Fellowship, University of Wisconsin-Madison (Fall 2013)
- Mellon-Wisconsin Summer Fellowship, University of Wisconsin-Madison (2012)
- Student Housing Honored Instructor Award, University of Wisconsin-Madison (Spring 2012)
Faculty & Staff