2515 Lee Hall
Department of English
P.O. Box E
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Hispanic Linguistics, Romance Linguistics, Basque Linguistics, Phonetics, Phonology, Second and Heritage Language Acquisition, Statistical Methods for Linguistics
Ander specializes in articulatory and acoustic phonetics, bilingual phonologies, and second and heritage language acquisition. By analyzing the acquisition of coarticulation in second and additional languages, his goal is to advance the knowledge of the development of bilingual grammars and the limits of second language acquisition regarding pronunciation. He is currently co-editing a volume that will include selected articles from the 51st Linguistic Symposium on Romance Languages. Apart from doing research, Ander takes joy in serving his students and the community. He has served as a mentor for first-generation students as well as held leadership roles within the Linguistic Society of America.
- Beristain, A. (2021). Spectral properties of anterior sibilant fricatives in Northern Peninsular Spanish and sibilant-merging and non-merging varieties of Basque. Journal of the International Phonetic Association. 1-32.
- Beristain, A. (2020). Type of early bilingualism effect on the delateralization of /ʎ/ in Basque and Spanish. Linguistic Approaches to Bilingualism, 11(5), 700-738.
- Beristain, A. (2019). A dialectal dictionary of Azpeitia Basque – II. Fontes Linguae Vasconum, 127, 7-58.
- Beristain, A. (2018). A dialectal dictionary of Azpeitia Basque – I. Fontes Linguae Vasconum, 125, 7-54.
- Hualde, J. I., & Beristain, A. (2020). New Basque varieties: Accentuation and grammatical number in Standard Basque and local dialects. In L. Grenoble, P. Lane, & U. Røyneland (Eds.), Linguistic Minorities in Europe Online (pp. n.d.). De Gruyter Mouton.
- Hualde, J. I., Beristain, A., & Icardo Isasa, A. (in press). Word-prosodic contrasts and bidialectalism in Basque. In B. Köhnlein, & P. Iosad (Eds.), Special Volume on Tonal Accent (Title TBD). Oxford University Press.
- Hualde, J. I., Beristain, A., Icardo Isasa, A., & Zhang, J. (2021). Word-final plosives: Consonant clashes. ASJU-International Journal of Basque Linguistics and Philology, 53(1-2), 83-106.
Faculty & Staff