Fall 2011, English 4303/6303 Craft of Poetry,
TTH 11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.-Dr. Richard Lyons, 317F Lee
- The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Poetry Ed. J.D. McClatchy, ISBN 978-1-4000-3093-4.
- The Vintage Book of Contemporary World Poetry Ed. J.D. McClatchy, ISBN 0-679-74115-1.
- Ai, Vice, Selected Poems, W.W. Norton, 1999.
- Orlen, Steve, The Elephant's Child, Selected Poems, Ausable Press, 2006.
ISBN 10: 1-931337-28-4; ISBN 13: 978-1-931337-28-4.
- This course is the advanced poetry workshop ideal for undergraduates who have completed English 3303 with a grade of A or B and for graduate students.
- Undergraduates will receive grades based on their performance as undergraduates.
Prerequisites: English 3303 and the two University Composition classes.
- Graduates will receive grades based on their performance as graduates.
- We will read the above professional poems and some poems on Xerox for inspiration, experimentation, and rhetorical strategies.
- We will write and revise 10:..12 poems. We will discuss this work in conference and in workshop. Then we will revise our work for a final portfolio due at the end of classes.
- Graduates must submit at least one batch of poems to a professional journal. Professor will encourage undergraduates to submit accomplished work to a professional journal.