Competitive Awards and Scholarships
In addition to the various scholarships and financial aid packages offered by the University, the English Department is able to offer a number of scholarships and awards:
Eugene Butler Creative Writing Award ($2,500)
- Preference is given to creative writers entering MSU at any level other than freshman level. If there are no winning candidates from outside, students already on campus will be considered.
- Application deadline May 1.
Howell H. Gwin Scholarship ($1000 and $500)
- An English major entering the junior year is eligible to apply for the $500 undergraduate Gwin Scholarhip. One $1000 stipend and one $500 stipend are awarded to entering graduate students.
- Application deadline March 31 of the sophomore or senior year.
- Upper-level undergraduates or graduate English majors are eligible to apply.
- Application deadline February 20 of the sophomore or junior year.
- The candidates must be in good standing at Mississippi State University.
- The candidates must be pursuing a Graduate degree within the Department of English.
- The candidates must have demonstrated financial need.
- Application deadline February 20.
- Awarded annually to an undergraduate majoring in English at Mississippi State University.
- Applicants must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 (4.0 scale) and be of good moral character and demonstrated leadership ability.
- Applicants must have demonstrated financial need.
- Scholarship deadline is February 20.
- Applicant must be a full-time student at M.S.U. enrolled in the Department of English within the College of Arts and Sciences; the award year may be for a student's sophomore, junior, or senior year.
- Applicant must have demonstrated academic achievement by maintaining a minimum 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale).
- Applicant must be of good moral character and have demonstrated leadership ability.
- Applicant must have demonstrated financial need.
- Scholarship application deadline is February 20 of each year.
- Applicant must be a full-time student at MSU. Students majoring in English will be primary candidates. If there are no qualified English majors, students majoring in Communications will then be considered.
- Scholarship applications and other pertinent information are available in the Department of English, 2nd. floor Lee Hall).
- Full-time English majors at the junior or senior level are eligible to apply for this award, which is for the purchase of non-course books.
- Application deadlines: Fall—last weekday of September; Spring—last weekday of February.
Peyton Ward Williams Distinguished Writing Award
- The Williams Distinguished Writing Award is given annually in recognition of an outstanding paper written in an upper-division English course.
The Linda Brasher/Mary Ann Dazey Writing Award
- Papers are nominated for this award by professors in English 3414: Advanced Composition.
The MSU Writing Contest
- Annual contest, open to any MSU student. A student may enter in one
or more of five categories:
- One-Act Play
- Informal Essay
- Formal Essay
- Deadline approximately late November
- For information contact Dr. Michael Kardos or Dr. Catherine Pierce, Lee Hall
The English Department offers teaching assistantships to a large number of graduate students. Those selected have the opportunity to gain teaching experience in the department's composition classes and tutoring experience in the Writing Center. The department also offers editorial assistantships for work on The Mississippi Quarterly. Applicants for assistantships must be sure all their application materials are received by April 15, 2014.
The University department of Student Financial Aid provides assistance for all eligible students.