The Composition Program
The offerings in English Composition are designed to meet the general requirements of the various academic programs at this university and comparable institutions. It is advantageous to students to complete these classes during the freshman or, if necessary, sophomore year.
Many of these classes are taught by Graduate Assistants under the supervision of program director Ann Spurlock. Others sections may be taught by instructors or lecturers, or members of the graduate faculty, with Honors sections taught exclusively by members of the graduate faculty.
Standard Requirements for English Composition Courses
In the interests of fairness to all students and teaching effectiveness, the Mississippi State University English department has adopted uniform textbooks for its standard composition classes (EN 0103, 1103, and 1113) and uniform course requirements. While individual classes will vary in accordance with the strengths and interests of the various instructors, all meet certain uniform requirements.
- EN 0103: Each student must write at least six short themes totaling 3,000 words. The final is to be the seventh theme. Each student must also complete all classwork / homework assignments.
- EN 1103: Each student must write at least six (including the final) original compositions totaling approximately 3,500 words, exclusive of the final examination, a theme of at least 500 words.
- EN 1113 Each student must write at least five themes, totaling approximately 5,000 words. The final must be a theme. The course includes substantial instruction and practice in techniques of research and documentation (MLA form).
- EN 1163. Standards and requirements are set by the instructor. The class is generally taught as a literature-based composition course.
- EN 1173. Standards and requirements are set by the instructor. The class is generally taught as a literature-based composition course.
- EN 1103H. An Honors course. Standards and requirements are set by the professor and are geared to the capabilities of Honors students.
- EN 1113H. An Honors course. Standards and requirements are set by the professor and are geared to the capabilities of Honors students