Information, Policies and Procedures
for EN 1103, Composition I:
Objectives: EN 1103 stresses principles of logic, rhetoric and analysis that govern effective organization and presentation of ideas in expository writings. Instruction in grammar and usage, while not emphasized in class, is available in the writing lab. Primary emphasis is on appropriate limitation of topic and the development of a thesis in a unified, coherent essay. The readings are expository writings that serve as models of standard American usage and organizational strategies.
Course Work: Each student will write 5 (including the final) original compositions of 500 to 750 words each. Each composition (with the exception of the final) will lbe written in three drafts, and each draft will be evaluated by peers or the instructor before the next draft is written. Both the drafts and final version must be returned to the instructor or the composition's grade will become a zero. The final exam will consist of an essay of 500-750 words.
A = 900-1000
B = 800-899
C = 700-799
D = 600-699
F = below 600
4 essays @ 100....................400
8 essay drafts @ 20..............160
4 peer responses @ 10...........40
4 paragraphs @ 25...............100
Forming a Critical Perspective
Edited by Ann Spurlock, et al
Mississippi State Custom Publication
The Little, Brown Handbook, 3rd Custom Edition for MSU
H. Ramsey Fowler and Jane E. Aaron
(new edition for fall 2009; do not purchase earlier edition)
Guide to Freshman Composition, 4th. edition
2011 MSU custom edition
Recommended: American Heritage College Dictionary, 4th edition.
Class Policies and Procedures:
- Students are expected to attend all classes. Work missed due to absence may not be made up except with an excuse that is consistent with university policy. Class activities such as peer evaluations, response groups, exercises, class discussions, and reading quizzes that are missed may not be made up for any reason.
- Late essays will be penalized 10 points for every day they are late.
- Plagiarism will be punished in accordance with university policy: http://students.msstate.edu/pdf/honor-code.pdf
- All essays must follow MLA format.
- Students must turn in all drafts of an essay or they willl receive a grade of zero onn the assignment.